Saturday, March 6, 2010

life is wild.



Yesterday night I attended the graduation for the 10th grade class of the Good Shepherd High School, along with the Teachers Training program which sends teachers out into the Good Shepherd schools. I watched as one graduate cried on her mother’s shoulder. I’m sure her tears weren’t saying “Thank you it’s finally over!” as mine would have said, but I imagine her tears were saying “Thank you God for educating me, for caring enough about me to allow me to carve a future for myself that is different than the rest of the women of my village”

At school the children all look so nice in their uniforms, and like they could come from the nicest of homes. But really most of these kids come from little shacks, homes built of pipes, or an orphanage. Most of the members of their families are illiterate and work hard labored jobs. God has placed this school in this community so that these specific children can get an education. One of the speakers asked the graduates who would pursue a career that would allow them to give back to their community of the Dalits. Each one of the students stood up. These kids know the blessing of their education and will not take advantage of it.

I often times find myself telling people back in the US that life is just life here, nothing special or different, just a daily routine. One day after saying this I had a prayer meeting with my team. I don’t know how I ever thought that life here was nothing special. As I dug into prayer I realized the heaviness and seriousness of my life. I’m in the midst of people who are tormented by spiritual warfare, with witchcraft being done on them, evil spirits invading their lives. God has chosen ME to be HERE. It really could be seen as mundane and an everyday task, anyone can think that about their life, but anyone can also see each day as the wildest day ever. I’m thankful that God has revealed this to me.

Life is wild, no matter where you live and what you do. Many of us have the opportunity to breathe, to embrace the sunshine, to laugh, sing, rejoice and praise God. Let’s do that today.

No comments: