Thursday, January 17, 2008

been in hawaii for 2 days

So i started this as an email for my mom and dad and then of course i started to go into detail, i was going to email it to you all but that would have taken too long so i decided to make a blog..so if i forgot to delete something that has to do with my mom and dad..get over it :)
I'm kinda in the mood to not be very social...i just like thinking that i am away away not using my phone and staying away from the internet.... i barely have time to talk on the phone anyways because my days are filled with things to do. dad you mentioned something about probably not having a lot of quiet time. ohhhhh don't you worry i have probably at least one hour a day and probably more everyday. we wake up, have quiet time for an hour, worship or prayer as a group for an hour, teaching for an hour (thursdays we do testimonies), and then in the afternoon we do different kind of work..soooo its a little bit different than i thought it would be. its really a lot of prayer and it is kind of overwhelming for me but i'm just going with it. i've been here two days and i am already really comfortable, but i wish that i could get past this first week or two so i feel even more comfortable and don't have to stand around awkwardly or try to keep busy haha. its weird being here...on friday everyone leaves for china, so that is like 15 people that are leaving. there's about 55 people that are here right now-short term interns like myself and then more committed people as well. i am living in a house with probably 30 girls. there are two other houses within 3 minute walking distance that have the boys. there are probably 20 swedes that live here. all blonde hair blue eyed with the accents that i know you would love mom :) i hear things like yared (jared) and yulia (julia) are going to SHina (china) in two days. its funny. there are i think 8 girls in my room-4 bunk beds squished in there. i really actually don't know all the girls that are living in my room. i feel like i am back in taiwan with the green trees, beautiful smelling bushes and flowers everywhere with hills off in the distance. i love it because i have not been exposed to all the tourists here. i've only been in my neighborhood and then i walked around china town for a little bit this afternoon-but only like 5 blocks. its weird because i just got here and the two nights i have been here we have had going away parties for people. there were 18 people who graduated tonight from the internship that i am in. its kinda weird because everyone is so sentimental and i have no idea whats going on. I'm surrounded by all these people and i just want to jump into their lives and know everything about them but i am trying to be patient and not come off as a creepo. I could probably go on for a long time about my thoughts and critique on this place but, its just the second day so i think they are all judgements and i think i am probably wrong about a lot of them so i will just have to wait a little longer to say more of my thoughts and everything. ok. and for all you girls who think i am going to find ma man here...let me just tell you. these boys are very fine (you're supposed to read that wtih one of my accents) ok.

oh actually i have learned something cool about the history of hawaii since i have been here. i guess that when the first missionaries came over from new england, the ruler at the time decided to get rid of the religion they had been believing in and said that the new god they would praise would come in a black box and land on this rock on the big island...what do you know these missionaries came, got off their boat and stood on this rock-holding bibles in a little black box. and Hawaii used to be the most literate place in the world (like 100 years ago) and this is because the missionaries wrote down the language and everyone wanted to learn how to read and write so they could read the bible. They knew how to read sideways and upside down because everyone would crowd around the bible while everyone tried to read it.

anyways. i hope you all are enjoying whatever place of life you are in :)
dad can you email me to let me know of any contacts in hainan??

and my address is
p.o. box 29393
Honolulu, HI
96820

peace.

1 comment:

chinaron said...

Whitney, I think it is cool that you are willing to take risks as you seek to live a life that has meaning and is at times lived outside the box. I hope that along your journey you always listen for Pappa's voice and guiding to lead you both towards truth and meaning.

It will be fun this week to have both of us in the tropics, you there in Hawaii and me over in Thailand. I will eat some Thai food as I celebrate your birthday.

Love,

Dad